Cyprus is a renowned travel destination for beach & history lovers all across the world. This is an island nation nestled in the eastern Mediterranean Sea enveloped by Turkey to the south and Greece to the southeast. Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean, with a mesmering shoreline and mystic gorges to explore. Apart from its beaches, this nation is also known for its astounding historical wonders of the world. Hence, I am marking out here some of the marvelous places in Cyprus to visit that you must not miss for sure. And, to accomplish a proper solution for your ‘where to visit in Cyprus? Section’ I grant you a bonus travel restriction guideline into Cyprus 2021 edition that will hopefully answer all your queries regarding the travel ban protocols in Cyprus during Covid19.
Latest Travel Restrictions into Cyprus
- Effective from 1 March 2021, the Ministry of Health segregated the countries into “green”, “orange”, “red” and “grey” zones according to the safety & Covid-19 cases of the respective countries.To check which category your country lies in, visit here.
- Effective from 1 April 2021, all passengers who are completely vaccinated and possess valid certified proof of their vaccination are not required to undergo a Covid-19 PCR test upon arrival and quarantine.
- Effective from 1 April 2021, passengers from the “Green Category” countries list do not have to submit a COVID-19 test certificate upon arrival according to updated travel guidelines of Cyprus.
- All passengers from the “Orange Category” countries list must submit a document presenting a certified negative COVID-19 PCR test result taken at least 72 hours prior to travel.
- Some exempted categories have to undergo test upon arrival in Cyprus which are as follows:
- All residential citizens of Cyprus and their family members (spouses, underage children, and parents) must be undergoing the molecular test upon arrival at the airport.
- All those people who are entitled to enter the Republic under the Vienna Convention will undergo the test.
- Irrespective of nationality, those people whose origin countries do not provide a laboratory testing service.
- Passengers coming from the “Red Category” countries list have to take a double testing procedure, to represent a negative COVID-19 PCR test result (taken at least 72 hours prior to travel).
- The exempted travelers from “Red category” countries list who do not have to take the double testing procedure according to the latest travel guidelines of Cyprus via taking certain tests at their own expense are :
- Cypriot citizens and their family members ;
- Legal residents of Cyprus;
- People entitled to enter the Republic under the Vienna Convention.
- Travelers from the “Red category” countries list who fall within the categories 1-3 must practice a self-isolation of 72 hours and later they must undergo another PCR test, at their own expense to get the negative PCR test results.
- The isolation will expire only when the second test results are negative.
- Travelers from the “orange category” countries list are also subjected to mandatory self-isolation until they receive the negative PCR test results.
- All travelers are heeded for the compulsory confinement of 14 days and follow the medical protocol of the Ministry of Health.
- All travelers from the “grey category ”countries list are subjected to quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Health where after a period of 10 days of isolation traveler undergoes another test (at their own expense) & on the 10th day when the result is negative, passengers are free from quarantine.
- Passengers have to send the test to the given email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All passengers have to submit complete information pf their travel & upload essential documents(within 24 hours) to obtain the Cyprus Flight Pass.
To check your Flight Pass status visit here.
- Effective from 1 March 2021, all the street vending and flea markets other than food are allowed to open and function according to the Covid-19 restrictions in Cyprus.
- Home delivery and take-aways are allowed to function until 21:00
- Passengers will take a molecular test upon their arrival at the Airports if they are somehow unable to present the negative Covid-19 PCR test results;
Later, the passengers will be transferred to designated hotels for compulsory 7-day quarantine (persons under the age of 18 can also choose to self-isolate at their homes);
On the 7th day of isolation, the traveler will be subjected to a new molecular test and, in the case of a negative result, they will continue further self-isolation at home for another 3 days.
- For more information and weekly travel updates of Cyprus during COVID-19 Click here
List of Amazing Places to Visit in Cyprus
Larnaca is the oldest city in Cyprus which is immensely known for its prominent historical attractions that date back to more than 6,000 years ago. Larnaca also houses one of the largest international airports on the island hence a lot of tourists pass through this wonderous city every day. But the history geeks would surely love this top place to visit in Cyprus due to its amazing architectural buildings that are infused with interesting juicy backstories. You should not miss the 9th-century Church of St. Lazarus or the splendid Faneromeni Church of Larnaca. Those who seek energetic tours can head towards the Larnaca Salt Lake to spot pink flamingos, or dive across the astonishing wrecks of the Zenobia, which is a very popular hub for such divers all across Cyprus.
Kakopetria is another famous travel destination of Cyprus that is nestled at the highest point of the island. The highly elevated villages in the Solea Valley of Kakopetria are the major highlights of this tour. Interestingly, Kakopetria roughly translates to ‘bad rock’ in English, which might sound darker when you will discover the renowned folklore that the village was named such as when a newly wedded couple was crushed by a rolling rock(Pretty Dark! I know). You can roam across the medieval quarters and narrowed lanes of stoned streets with your loved ones. Whereas to acquire a more classic traditional experience you can try the syrup doughnuts known locally as ‘Loukoumades’.
Read More: Famous Monuments of Cyprus
3. Akamas Peninsula
Akamas Peninsula is one of the beautiful places to visit in Cyprus comprises one of the least inhabited parts of the island. It’s the perfect gateway to escape the city’s hustle & spend some peaceful time with your beloved partners. This place is best suited for hiking or mountain biking. In fact, the luscious green jungles of this peninsula are best for spotting the wildlife, which includes sea turtles, reptiles, and native birds. For a historic sightseeing tour, you can exhibit the Agios Andronikos, which initially a mosque constructed in the early 16th century but later converted into a church.
Nicosia is an amazing amalgamation of two very famous cultures including Turkish to the north & Greek cultures in the South. Such an exotic location grants this place to visit in northern Cyprus a dozen of historical remains that you might not find anywhere else in the world. Some of the top picks of Cyprus Museum collections are, the Byzantine Museum, and the Ledra Observatory Museum, where a simple hike onto the 11th floor can offer you an epic view of the island’s national dividing line (known as the “The Green Line”). For shopping lovers, Ledra Street & Laiki Geitonia are the best places to land some affordable souvenir deals before departing the island.
5. Avakas Gorge
Avakas Gorge is one of the most unique undisturbed natural wonders of Cyprus located on the west coast of Paphos city. It takes only around a 30-minute drive to reach this adorable destination. A 100-foot gorge was eventually chiseled out due to the constant flow of rivers that used to flow once breaching all the limestone rocks. Now the resultant gorges due to incessant water erosion of the rocks make this one of the best places in Cyprus to visit. Hikers can be excited to catch the glimpse of the exotic Centaurea Akamantis flower that found only in Cyprus all around the world. Just don’t forget to pack plenty of water, snacks, and reliable waterproof shoes as the terrain are super rough & unpredictable.
Read More: Major Cities in Cyprus
Hope you’ve benefited from this brief list of 5 top places to go in Cyprus that are infused with amazing historical monuments and breath-taking beaches. The rich history of Cyprus Roman and Turkish ancestry with a combination of breath-taking shorelines make this place a perfect tourist destination to visit this year. Yet there are essential travel guidelines of Cyprus during COVID-19 that every traveler must follow to ensure their as well as others’ safety. Don’t panic just plan! Everything will be fine. We will fight back from this pandemic together.