Wondering how to reach to Berlin Wall Memorial in Gesundbrunnen, Germany? We Will helps you find the best way to get to Berlin Wall Memorial with step-by-step directions from the nearest public transit station. In this guide, I will tell you everything you need to know about the route to reach the Berlin Wall Memorial. In short, this guide will fully prepare you for that great excursion to this ancient and majestic German monument!
Complete Route Guide to Reach Berlin Wall Memorial in Gesundbrunnen, Germany
About Berlin Wall Memorial
More than 1.4 kilometers (roughly 1 mile) from the foundations of the Berlin Wall, the completely free to visit monument is the first step for anyone interested in its past, boasting a variety of fascinating exhibitions and an opportunity to experience the wall as would be. it was felt by those living on both sides of Bernauer Strasse (and Berlin).
- This monument honors the victims of the GDR system. It also explains the many ways its citizens have tried to escape, including the tunnels, and especially Bernauer Strasse, which jumped from windows and roofs.
- The monument also explains the various methods that the GDR system brutally used in order not to escape its citizens.
- This historical site is one of the most famous destinations, captured in posterity when a photographer magnified a young East German soldier named Conrad Shuman when he was released through barbed wire and released into West Berlin.
- The Berlin Wall Monument, compared to the East Side Gallery, is much more educational and much more interesting for most of the visitors. With its documentation center, lookout, preserved mortuary, and content stations, this monument provide more detail and context than a unique (albeit long) piece of the wall.
Inside Route Guide to Berlin Wall Memorial
The monument consists of 3 main parts, a visitor center, a large outdoor exhibition, and a documentation center with a lookout. The outdoor exhibition is the largest part and is divided into 4 parts. All external components are detailed in the main features section. We recommend that you start your visit to Nordbanhof S-Bahn Station. This is where the Berlin Wall Monument begins and where the visitor center is located. There is an exhibition entitled “Ghost Stations” at the Nordbahnhof S-Bahn station.
Read more: Famous Monuments in Germany
Visitor Center Berlin Wall Memorial
Both the visitor and documentation centers offer free toilets, and there is a small café next to the Documentation Center. The visitor center has an information desk, a small bookstore, an introductory film, and interactive guides that provide an overview of all the sights of the Berlin Wall throughout the city. Eating and drinking are prohibited in the Documentation Center but you will find no security check. When you enter the Church of Reconciliation, the signs also ask you to be quiet and respectful.We’ll summarize what you’ll see in the Key Features section, and you can take 3 audio tours with your smartphone: a 30-minute, 75-minute, and 2-hour tour.
Daily from 08:00 to 22:00 (22:00)
Visitor and documentation centers
Tuesday – Sun 6: 00-18: 00 (18: 00)
Closed on Mondays
Nordbahnhof S-Bahn Station (Ghost Station Exhibition)
Daily From 4:00 to 1:00 (next day)
Best Times To Visit
Online reviews make little mention of overcrowding or queuing, and we rarely notice overcrowding during our tours. Consider avoiding Monday, especially if you want the full experience.Another issue that visitors need to be wary of is the weather, as much of the monument is outdoors (all if you visit on a Monday). Nevertheless, some visitors may appreciate the authentically dark, rainy day to think of Berlin’s scary, recently described chapter.
How Long Does a Visit Take?
Even a casual walk from the end to the end of the main outdoor exhibition can take at least 1 hour, except for visiting the visitor and documentation centers, but omitting the documentation center exhibits and viewing gallery (which the What to Expect section) leaves the experience somewhat incomplete.If one wants to experience both the outdoor gallery and the documentation center, the visit can easily take 2 hours.
Read more: Top 6 Beaches in Berlin
How To Get To The Berlin Wall Memorial
The Berlin Wall Monument is located on Bernauer Strasse between S-Bahn Nordbanhof Station and Bernauer Strasse U-Bahn Station, 2 stops north of S-Bahn Friedrich Strasse Station.
- Due to its historical significance, the Nordbahnhof is an ideal starting point; it also had an exit in West and East Berlin, and thus became one of the ghost stations of Berlin, about which it now contains an interesting exhibition.
- It is served by S-Bahn (S1, S2, S25, and S26), trams (M10, M8, 12), and buses (247, N40).
- If you are traveling on the S-Bahn, follow the signs for the Berlin Wall Monument (Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer), although we recommend that you spend some time exhibiting the ghost stations.
- For more explanations on how to manage the Berlin public transport system, read our post on navigating the Berlin public transport system.
Route Guide to reach Berlin Wall Memorial from Public Transport
The Berlin Wall Memorial can be reached by bus, underground, S-Bahn, tram, or train. These are the lines and routes that stop nearby –
Train: RE1, RE7
S-Bahn: S2, S26
Subway: U6, U7, U8
Light Rail: M10
Bus: 186, 245, 247
Read more: Best Cities to Visit in Germany
Hope you received a brief and easy idea about the various routes to reach the Berlin Wall Memorial in Germany and the added duration and cost information that might have helped you, to manage your schedules and budget according to your trips. There are more engaging and helpful blogs that can help you out with a lot of on-ground basic problems so visit our website or download our Adequate Travel app to win exciting offers over various trips and tour packages that will make your journey more efficient and pocket friendly.
The post Convenient Route Guide to Reach the Berlin Wall Memorial, Germany appeared first on World Tour & Travel Guide, Get Travel Tips, Information, Discover Travel Destination | Adequate Travel.