Venice is also known also as the City of Canals, The Floating City, and Serenissima, Venice facts tell that it is arguably one of Italy’s most picturesque cities. With its winding canals, striking architecture, and beautiful long bridges, Venice is a popular destination for travel. If you are planning a visit to this floating city, you must know these very Venice facts and geography.
Interesting Facts About Venice
1. There are approx 350 gondolas on Venice’s waterways, which includes 177 canals.
2. Gondolas are made up of eight different wood species, and the parts of the gondola represent parts of Venice itself. Gondolas weigh approximately 600 kilos and 11 meters in length.
3. Venice has a collection of 118 islands. Venice facts and geography tell that the city itself is believed to be sinking at a rate of 1 to 2 millimeters every year.
4. Venice was built around 1500 years ago and has expanded through the ages to the major city it is today.
5. One of the narrowest streets in the world is situated in Venice which is only 53cm wide and called Calletta.
Symbol of Venice symbol is the winged lion of Saint Mark.
6. Venice facts tell us that it has 417 bridges, among 72 of these bridges are private. Most of the bridges don’t contain steps because they were built when horses were used for transportation.
7. Venetian legend says that if a couple kisses in a gondola kiss as they pass underneath each bridge they will remain in love forever.
Read on: Best Cities to Visit in Italy
8. An engineering project is underway to control the tides which result in a phenomenon called acqua alta when tides are 9 cm above regular height. The town floods when this occurs and the project involves creating moveable barriers which will stop the flooding.
9. Venice’s biggest canal is the Grand Canal, which divides the city into two regions. This Grand Canal is lined with 170 buildings.
10. Venice has more than 450 palaces.
11. Venice has a famous San Marco bell tower, which was built in the 1100s and rebuilt in the 1900s after it collapsed.
12. Many people believe that the best view of Venice can be observed from the tower.
13. In the last 50 years, the population of Venice has dropped from 120,000 to 60,000, and some believe that it will be a tourist park only by 2030.
14. In 1638, the first public casino opened in Venice.
15. Due to the maintenance cost of homes in Venice, which is so high, many people are choosing to leave. The fact about Venice is sinking is also another reason for the de-population of the city.
So far here we have discussed all about Venice, which simply concluded the fun facts about Venice and Venice facts and geography. Hope you might have gathered some information related to it. If you are planning your trip to Venice then kindly go through our other articles as well which will be quite beneficial for you. Please share your views regarding the content explained above and liked it too.